What are effective treatments for nasal polyps?

 I have been a severe nasal polyps sufferer for 14 years. During this time, I have had 4 sinus / polyp surgeries. In addition, up until April of last year, I had absolutely no sense of smell. None. Therefore, I have spent a great deal of time with my allergy and ENT doctors and also have spent a ton of time researching this.

In April of last year, after another severe sinus infection, another CT-Scan revlealed my sinus cavaties were 100% plugged, and polyps were back again (just 14 months from my 4th surgery), my doctors and I got agressive. First, I was referred to the National Jewish Immunology Hospital in Denver, CO. This was merely a telephone referral. However, during the conversation with a nurse, she asked if my body reacted in any certain way to drinking alcohol. My answer was "yes", whereas for the past 14-17 years (I am now 35), alcohol has made me very stuffed up and I get severe sinus-infection like symtoms no matter what kind of alchol I drink. At that point, the term "Sampter's Syndrom" came out. After consulting once again with my own local doctors, indeed, it was determined that this is what I have. Sampter's Syndrome means I have (1) propensity for severe nasal polyps growth, (2) allergies or asthma, and (3) intolerance to aspirin containing products. Turns out, that 50% of people with this are "intolerant to alcohol, in any consumable form". Therefore, as hard as it was, I immediately ceased drinking any form of alcohol. At the same time, I went on a two-week dose of strong antibiotics, did a two-week dose of methylprednisolone (16 mg per day, tapering downward starting on day six), and started a permanent prescription for Singulair and Nasonex (2 puffs per nostril, twice per day). Needless to say, after the sixth day, I could smell for the first time in 14 years. I was able to retain a very strong sense of smell (wonderful) from June - October without any assistance from the oral form of steroids or antibiotics. However, in October, I tried drinking two beers, and my sense of smell disappeared within a week and another sinus infection returned. Therefore, I was placed back on 2 more weeks of antibiotics and 1 week of the oral steroid at 16 mg per day. I know a person cannot be on oral steriods all too often, but we are trying to stablize my sinuses. My smell has been great, and polyps haven't seemed to be a problem for the past 8 months.... but we'll see. OHHHHH - One more thing, use SINUS RINSE... pre-mixed packages to irrigate your sinuses twice per day. Wait 10 minutes, then spray the Nasonex.

There are different brands of sinus rinses, but the best that I have found is from Neilmed... you can find them on the internet.


If you have one or more small polyps, your doctor is likely to prescribe a corticosteroid nasal spray such as fluticasone (Flonase), triamcinolone (Nasacort), budesonide (Rhinocort), flunisolide (Nasarel, Nasalide) or mometasone (Nasonex). These medications relieve inflammation, increase nasal airflow and may help shrink polyps.

Side effects of steroid nasal sprays are far less serious than are those of oral steroids and may include nosebleeds, headache or sore throat.

Other medications for nasal polyps include:

Oral corticosteroids. Sometimes your doctor may prescribe an oral corticosteroid, either alone or in combination with a nasal spray. Because oral steroids can cause serious side effects, you usually take them for a brief period — often no more than a few weeks.
Medications to control allergies or infection. In addition to treating your polyps, your doctor may prescribe medications to control allergies or infection. Antihistamines, for instance, counteract histamine, an inflammatory substance released when your immune
system encounters an allergen. If you have hay fever or other allergies, antihistamines may help relieve your congestion, although they won't eliminate polyps. In addition, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics for an acute sinus infection.

Antifungal medications. Researchers have discovered that some cases of chronic sinusitis may be caused by an unusual immune system response to environmental fungus. For that reason, antifungal medications are being tested as a treatment for sinusitis-related polyps.

Surgery
When medications aren't effective, your doctor may recommend removing your polyps surgically. This is often the only option for people with cystic fibrosis who usually don't respond to steroids. The type of operation depends on the size, number and location of the polyps.

Polypectomy. Small or isolated polyps can often be completely removed using a small mechanical suction device or a microdebrider — an instrument that cuts and extracts soft tissue. The procedure, called a polypectomy, is performed on an outpatient basis. Following polypectomy, you'll be treated for any underlying inflammation, usually with corticosteroid nasal sprays and sometimes with antibiotics or oral steroids. Even so, polyps frequently return, and you may need additional operations.
Endoscopic sinus surgery. This is a more extensive procedure that not only removes polyps, but also opens the part of the sinus cavity where polyps usually form. If your sinuses are very blocked or inflamed, your doctor may open even more of your sinus cavity. In both cases, your surgeon uses a thin, rigid tube and a camera called a video endoscope. Because endoscopic surgery requires small incisions, you generally heal more quickly and with less discomfort than with other types of surgery. Still, full recovery may take several weeks, and polyps often return. This surgery has serious potential risks, including leakage of cerebrospinal fluid, injury to the optic nerve or eye muscles, and hemorrhage.